Friday 11 December 2015

50 Shades - or none?

After doing the Craftsy sketchbooking course earlier in the year, and starting to take a sketchbook and pencil when I go walking, this is the first of my own sketches ever that I've felt moved to frame and put on the wall.
It was shortly after learning about hatching - you can see that I'm not 100% comfortable with it. (related to this is the fact that I have found that I enjoy using a single pencil - and a mechanical one at that - so all lines are the same weight, rather than working with different thicknesses of line (point / side) and different hardnesses)

There's a very spare style here. The two blades of grass were an afterthought, I like it but wouldn't want to add anything else around the edge. And I can see a connection now that I've started (and love!) to draw cartoons with heavy lines, very few elements in the picture and no shading.

So the question is, is it right to practice hatching and try to get more confident with that, or to run with a style that works for me? (ie take my sketching in a more 'comical' direction, and develop a personal style along those lines?)

No comments :

Post a Comment